Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day Update


I attempted to pull an all-nighter last night and stay up to be the first to vote when the polls opened at 7. Well, I made it as far as 4 o' clock before calling it quits. I figured if I got up at 6:30 and went to my poll, which is right across the street, I would be one of the first ones there.

Wrong! When I arrived at 6:45 the line of people was about 40 people long. The line was a collection of people: African Americans, Hispanics, Caucasians, students, elderly people, Muslims, and Christians. As I was waiting in line the people around me were all discussing how excited they were.

Once inside, the poll workers seemed immediately frazzled. A woman who appeared to be in charge of the operation exclaimed "22 years I ain't ever seen this." She then began barking at two individuals who must have been election observers, as she told them to stop peering over the shoulders of the election workers. I'm not quite sure what she was worried they would do, but apparently there are problems in Philly today with Republican poll observers being illegally thrown out.

Regardless of these controversies, my experience with the polls is a good sign for Barack Obama.



Poll watchers

The Line

Might wanna double check her ID



Waiting


No comments: